Of Secret and Hidden Things
So, you have 0 HP, what now?
There is no longer negative HP. Once HP hits 0 the character drops,
all spells requiring concentration fail. All items in hand drop, the
character falls prone. And that’s it. All spell effects on the body
stay, poison still effects the body. All damage effects halt.
Now, for a character to be dead at this point one, or more of the following must
1. The type of damage destroys the characters body, such as a
major fire, acid bath etc.
2. A crit result that kills such as a decapitation.
3. Con dropped to zero.
4. Coup de Grace from an enemy. The enemy must complete this
attack to kill the character.
5. A death effect occurs. A death effect is one in which a
character is knocked to 0 HP on any attack roll, either from a
weapon, trap, spell or effect that rolls a natural 20
6. The body is beyond retrieval.
7. The party flees, leaving the body.
The -10 is now dropped. So at the end of combat, if none of the above occur, the character may be revived by a healing type spell or bandaging, These steps require 5 minutes to revive
a character from deaths door. There may be instances when I will instill a zero hp=dead rule for dramatic effect.